I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Good Reads: The Secret Life of Lobsters

Not exactly a recent release, but I just finished The Secret Life of Lobsters and was quite impressed.  Was exactly my type of book: non-fiction, man vs. nature, and more trivia (primarily involving lobsters and the ocean) than you could shake a stick at.  Most interesting piece of information I took away is that despite the general opinion that lobsters are being overfished (which is the impression I was under), lobstermen have had self imposed conservation techniques in place for generations.  It appears the real reason behind the volatility in lobster catches has more to do with ocean currents affecting a young lobsters ability to find shelter after each breeding season.  In fact, the number of broodstock females on the ocean bottom has actually been increasing in recent years and if it wasn't for the relative randomness of the currents there'd be much cheaper lobsters all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment